Prins Willem (Prince William)

1649 - 1650
Netherlands
The “Prins Willem” was the largest flagship of Dutch East India Company and also its pride. She was adorned with beautiful lions, nymphs, dolphins and saluting angels.
The first voyage to Batavia (5 May 1651) was a safe one. However, on her return she was converted and put into action as a warship against the English. For a period of about a year she became the flagship of Admiral Witte de Wit (born 1599 at Den Briel), who was in charge of keeping the Channel open to Dutch trading ships. From 1653 she became a successful trading ship again, plying between The Netherlands and East India.
>From Batavia, on 23 December 1661, commanded by Arnold de Vlaming van Oudshorn, this beautiful ship started on her last voyage. The “Prins Willem” and some other ships ran into trouble near the “Island of Brandon” and were lost with cargo and all. Although the “Prins Willem” never sailed to Japan the Japanese have had built a replica of her in Makkum, Holland (1985) that lied in Nagasaki untill short. Nowadays this replica of the " Willem Alexander" can be seen in " Attractiepark Cape Holland" in Den Helder, Holland.